- Comprehensive Exams continue this week. Our prayers are with all examinees! All non-examinees are encouraged to provide the second-years in your life with coffee and chocolate chip cookies throughout this trying time.
- Registration EXTENDED for the Spring Retreat! Spots are still available for this year’s spring retreat, which will be held at a gorgeous home RIGHT ON THE BEACHFRONT !!! in New Jersey from April 26-28 (Thurs-Saturday). Total cost is $10; register by paying Karen Cunningham the cost of the retreat in cash.
- The Graduate Student Monthly Mass for April will be held next Tuesday, April 3rd at 5:20 in Corr Chapel. Please contact Lauren Joyce to be involved: email@example.com.
Monday, March 26th
- Monday Latin Lunches! 12-1 PM in the conference room across the hall from the theology office between sociology and political science. We will discuss a short passage from the Office of Readings for the Feast of the Annunciation. For more information and this reading, please contact Dr. Elizabeth-Jane McGuire (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ESTEEM, 6-7:45 in the Tracy Lounge at St. Rita’s. For more information, contact Holly.
Tuesday, March 27th
- PULSE: People Uplifting Lives through Scripture Everyday 6-7pm. Pulse will meet in the Devon Room, Connelly Center. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Arielle Benjamin and Denise Diadyk at email@example.com.
Wednesday, March 28th
- Sant’Egidio Prayer Service. 6pm in Corr Hall Chapel.
- Group Centering Prayer: Please join fellow theology students at 3pm in Corr Chapel to take time to recenter yourself in God’s presence. (Non-denominational prayer.)
Thursday, March 29th
- Bible Study with Dr. Paul Danove will begin at 1:00 p.m. in Room 210, St. Augustine Center (SAC). We will study/reflect on the upcoming Sunday Scriptures taken from the Gospel according to Mark. All are invited. Contact: Kathy.Overturf@Villanova.edu
- Eastern University partners with Villanova to present Taize Prayer at 8pm in Corr Chapel. We will be sitting on the floor- please bring a pillow or blanket to sit upon. Chairs will also be available. For more information contact Dr. Margaret Mell: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, March 30th
- Film Screening & Prayer: The Passion of the Christ (Mel Gibson, 2004, 127 mins.) 7-10 PM, Peace & Justice Room in Corr (but confirm locationMonday online or by checking the department poster). Everyone welcome (graduate & undergraduate students of any dept., faculty, staff, friends, family). Please be aware of the graphic depiction of the events in Our Lord’s Passion. To foster a spirit of mortification on this Friday in Passiontide, please refrain from consuming (medically unnecessary) food or drink (except water). We will begin with prayer at 7 and leave in silence.
Saturday, March 31st
Sunday, April 1st
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Events!
- Peter Kreeft, professor of philosophy at Boston College and the King’s College (NYC), has been invited by the Theology Institute to address the Villanova community. On April 2 he will be giving a lecture entitled “Faith, Doubt, and Reason” at 4:30pm in Driscoll Auditorium #132. All are welcome.
- On Wednesday, April 18 the University Partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) will sponsor a colloquium on Gender and Justice: A Global Humanitarian and Development Perspective. The afternoon session, “Responding to Sexual and Gender-based Violence in Humanitarian Crises,” is scheduled between 4-5:30 p.m. The evening session, “Global Poverty Reduction and the Gender Lens,” is scheduled between 7:30-9 p.m. Both sessions will be held in the Connelly Center, Villanova room and open to the public. Francisca Vigaud-Walsh, CRS’ Emergency Operations Technical Advisor for Sexual and Gender-based Violence, will be the featured speaker.
Upcoming Conferences @ Villanova
- Truth & Mystery Reading Group. With the dual aims of building community between philosophy and theology as well as preparing for this year’s Truth & Mystery Conference on April 12th, this group meets monthly to read and discuss authors pertinent to the conference: Desmond, Marion, and Hollywood. More details here. Professors Jim Wetzel (Philosophy), Jessica Murdoch (Theology), Carey Walsh (Theology), and Darlene Weaver (Theology), are serving as faculty mentors.
- Faith and Culture: Theologians of the Future in Dialogue Friday, April 20th, 2012, 3:30 PM – 8 PM; Villanova University, Dougherty Hall, West Lounge; Keynote Speaker: Dr. Leonard Swidler, Professor of Catholic Thought and Interreligious Dialogue, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. This conference will be Villanova University’s first Graduate Theology Student Conference open to students in master’s and doctoral programs outside of Villanova University. It is intended both to foster dialogue between students in our own program and to engage the next generation of theologians in other programs across the nation about what we are doing as students of theology.
- The topic for 2012 is entitled “The Role of the Theologian in the Public Square.” We encourage all of you to attend! For more information, contact AJ DeBonis at email@example.com.