- Registration is now OPEN for the Spring Retreat! The retreat will be held at a private beach home in New Jersey from April 26-28 (Thurs-Saturday). Register by bringing $10 to Karen Cunningham by March 1! (Note: the price has decreased from $20 to $10 thanks to a kind sponsor- a ridiculous bargain!!!)
- Stations of the Cross for the campus community will be hosted by the graduate students on Wednesday, March 14th at 7:30pm. Please contact Lauren Joyce to be involved: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, February 27th
- Monday Latin Lunches! 12-1 PM in the conference room across the hall from the theology office between sociology and political science. We are beginning with Augustine’s De Catechezandis Rudibus. For more information and this reading, please contact Dr. Elizabeth-Jane McGuire (email@example.com).
Tuesday, February 28th
- PULSE: People Uplifting Lives through Scripture Everyday 6-7pm. Pulse will meet in the Devon Room, Connelly Center. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Arielle Benjamin and Denise Diadyk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, February 29th
- Sant’Egidio Prayer Service. 6pm in Corr Hall Chapel.
- Group Centering Prayer: Please join fellow theology students at 3pm in Corr Chapel to take time to recenter yourself in God’s presence. (Non-denominational prayer.)
- A talk on “Masculinity and Femininity” will be given by Generation Life at 7:30 at the Knights of Columbus Hall in West Chester. All adults 20- 39 are welcome- admission is free. Sponsored by Catholic Young Adults of Chester County: cyacc.org.
Thursday, March 1st
- Bible Study with Dr. Paul Danove will begin at 1:00 p.m. in Room 210, St. Augustine Center (SAC). We will study/reflect on the upcoming Sunday Scriptures taken from the Gospel according to Mark. All are invited. Contact: Kathy.Overturf@Villanova.edu
Friday, March 2nd
Saturday, March 3rd
Sunday, March 4th
- Greek Study, 2:00 at the Panera Bread in Wayne. Contact Charlie (Cjohns42@villanova.edu) for details.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Events!
- Busy Person’s Retreat- March 18-22. Please contact email@example.com to register.
- On Wednesday, April 18 the University Partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) will sponsor a colloquium on Gender and Justice: A Global Humanitarian and Development Perspective. The afternoon session, “Responding to Sexual and Gender-based Violence in Humanitarian Crises,” is scheduled between 4-5:30 p.m. The evening session, “Global Poverty Reduction and the Gender Lens,” is scheduled between 7:30-9 p.m. Both sessions will be held in the Connelly Center, Villanova room and open to the public. Francisca Vigaud-Walsh, CRS’ Emergency Operations Technical Advisor for Sexual and Gender-based Violence, will be the featured speaker.
Upcoming Conferences @ Villanova
- Catholic Social Teaching Conference in March 19-21, 2012: See HERE for more details.
- Truth & Mystery Reading Group. With the dual aims of building community between philosophy and theology as well as preparing for this year’s Truth & Mystery Conference on April 12th, this group meets monthly to read and discuss authors pertinent to the conference: Desmond, Marion, and Hollywood. More details here. Professors Jim Wetzel (Philosophy), Jessica Murdoch (Theology), Carey Walsh (Theology), and Darlene Weaver (Theology), are serving as faculty mentors.
- Faith and Culture: Theologians of the Future in Dialogue Friday, April 20th, 2012, 3:30 PM – 8 PM; Villanova University, Dougherty Hall, West Lounge; Keynote Speaker: Dr. Leonard Swidler, Professor of Catholic Thought and Interreligious Dialogue, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. This conference will be Villanova University’s first Graduate Theology Student Conference open to students in master’s and doctoral programs outside of Villanova University. It is intended both to foster dialogue between students in our own program and to engage the next generation of theologians in other programs across the nation about what we are doing as students of theology.
- The topic for 2012 is entitled “The Role of the Theologian in the Public Square.” We encourage all of you to attend! For more information, contact AJ DeBonis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Conferences in the Area
The Mid-Atlantic Congress (MAC) for pastoral leaders/parishioners is a gathering for training, resource sharing, networking, and prayer. March 8-10, 2012, Baltimore Hilton Hotel. MAC is a three-day gathering from Thursday-Saturday, March 8-10, 2012, designed to strengthen pastoral leaders from across the mid-Atlantic region and beyond in the church and in their ministry. If you would like to attend this conference FOR FREE, in exchange for volunteering, please contact Villanova alumna, Rena Black (email@example.com) for more information.
Visions of Hope: Emerging Theologians and Young Church Leaders Envision the Church of the Future March 9-11, 2012. Boston College. In an effort to empower and listen to the voices of some emerging theologians and leaders, theology graduate students at Boston College (BC), together with the International Catholic Movement for Intellectual and Cultural Affairs (ICMICA-Pax Romana) and other partners at BC plan to organize an international colloquium in March, 2012 on the theme of Visions of Hope: Emerging Theologians Envision the Future of the Church. The three-day gathering will be guided by, five subthemes:
- The Future of Catholic Ethics
- The Future of Dialogue
- The Future of Liturgy
- The Future of Ministry
- The Future of Ecclesiology