It’s not too late to register for the Villanova Day of Service! To register, go to http://villanova.force.com/Events/EventRegistration?event=sqxE0tIZ53fQfoa2anP_2Fgg_3D_3D . Registration has now closed for groups, but you can still register as an individual.
Friendly reminder about Recycling in the Department: Please take glass/plastic/tin to the recycle containers located by SAC classroom 210.
A Schola is forming to sing for an ecumenical Vespers to close the Advent Day of Reflection on Saturday, December 3. An introductory meeting will be held before fall break, and practices will begin after the break. Practice times will be based on the schedules of the participants. The group will work on simple chants and a polyphonic setting of the Magnificat. An ability to read music would be helpful, but is not necessary. Please contact Dr. McGuire at email@example.com by September 20 to indicate your interest.
Fall film series, “Through a Glass, Darkly: Film as Theology” announced. Selected Thursdays at 7. Begins Sept. 15th with Alfred Hitchcock’s 1953 thriller I Confess.
Portio Creaturae Tuae: Villanova Graduate Theology Research Conference will be held Thurday, September 29 from 3:00-4:30. Our presenters this semester are Patrick O’Kernick, presenting “Matter is Metaphor is Spirit: A Provocative Study of Matter from Medieval Angelology to Contemporary Poetics” and Kenneth Fleischer, presenting ”The Beatitudes of the Apocalypse of John.” Join us to learn more about your fellow students’ research and, of course, for a wine and cheese reception after.
“RCIA” is shorthand for the way the Catholic Church incorporates new adult members into its community. RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) describes a process of conversion that takes place at weekly gatherings in the Tracey Lounge in St.Rita Hall -6pm to 8pm begining the first Thursday in October. The process includes instruction in what Catholics believe, but more than that it involves a new way of life in Christ. Any student who wishes to be Baptized or receive First Eucharist or Confirmation or received into the Catholic church please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The GTSC is now on Twitter! Follow us @VillanovaGTSC
The first Monthly Mass with the Theology Graduate Students will be held on October 4th at 5:20pm in Corr Chapel. Contact Lauren Joyce to serve as a liturgical minister for these Masses: email@example.com.
Monday, September 19th
Tuesday, September 20th
- “Latin Lunches” meet with Dr. McGuire and other interested Grad Students to learn/study Ecclesiastical Latin at noon.
- Lecture on High Holidays Prayers of Jewish Women, 7:30PM in Driscoll auditorium. Chava Weissler, Department of Religion Studies, at LeHigh, will speak on “High Holiday Themes in the Prayers of Early Modern and Contemporary Jewish Women.” Part of the Jewish Religion and Culture Lecture Series from the Office of Mission and Ministry (cosponsored by GWS and Theology and Religious Studies) THIS IS AN *ACS APPROVED* LECTURE. If you have questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sant’Egidio Prayer Service. 6pm in Corr Chapel. All are welcome! For more information, please see The Community of Sant’Egidio website and contact Kathryn Getek Soltis, Director of the Center for Peace and Justice Education: email@example.com
Wednesday, September 21st
Thursday, September 22nd
- St. Thomas of Villanova Lecture– CANCELED
The St. Thomas of Villanova Lecture scheduled for this Thursday September 22 has been canceled. The featured speaker, Dr. Wangari Maathai, will be unable to participate due to illness. For more information about other St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration activities, please visit the event website. For additional information: http://www.villanova.edu/stvc
- Rosary- 4pm in Corr Chapel
Friday, September 23rd
- Community Collection Day. The University will gather items that are needed by local community agencies. The collection will take place throughout the day in the Villanova Room of the Connelly Center. A list of items needed has been posted.
Saturday, September 24th
- St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service! 8:30 a.m. — Day of Service Send Off – Meet at The Pavilion, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. — Day of Service, 3:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. — Community Dinner and Presentation of the Distinguished Service Awards – Dougherty Hall Dining Room. Official Site
Sunday, September 25th
Ongoing Opportunities and Resources from the Center for Spirituality and Discernment!
For all the following opportunities, please Contact Linda at 610.519.6699 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Spiritual Direction: An open invitation to Villanova students interested in Spiritual Direction, a meeting with a trained professional for one hour once a month:
- to take time to look at your life
- to notice how God “speaks” to you through the events and people of your life
- to be aware of how you want to respond
No expertise required…just a searching heart and a desire to get to know God better.
2. Small Group on Decision Making: We are starting a six session small group on “Decision Making” that will meet once a week for an hour over six weeks. We begin on Thursday September 15th from 4:30-5:30 pm in St. Rita’s hall lower level. This group is based on Nancy Bieber’s book called “Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment”.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Events!
- Wednesday, September 28th: Live Simulcast of Gounod’s “Faust”, Bryn Mawr Film Institute, 824 W Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr, PA ($10)
- Thurday, September 29 from 3:00-4:30 Portio Creaturae Tuae: Villanova Graduate Theology Research Conference
- Tuesday, October 4th: Graduate Student Monthly Mass– 5:20 Corr Chapel
- Wednesday, October 5: FREE Graduate School Practice Exams at 6:00pm. Visit http://www.formstack.com/forms/?1105597-BgdQRnNZN3 to reserve your place
- Friday-Saturday, October 21-22: Thomistic Circles Conference: Christian Marriage: Nature and Sacrament at Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC. Provide your own transportation.