St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service. This year, the Theology Department group will include students, faculty, and staff in a departmental collaboration. To register, please go to the Day of Service Registration Page and be sure to select “Theology Graduate Students/Faculty/Staff” as the group in the drop-down menu for DOS Group.
Sign-up for the September 17th Day of Reflection by Monday, September 12th. See information below in the “Mark Your Calendars!” section.
Fall film series, “Through a Glass, Darkly: Film as Theology” announced. Selected Thursdays at 7. Begins Sept. 15th with Alfred Hitchcock’s 1953 thriller I Confess.
The GTSC is now on Twitter! Follow us @VillanovaGTSC
The Catholic Research Resources Portal, or “Catholic Portal,” provides access to rare, unique and/or uncommon materials in libraries, seminaries, special collections and archives. By electronically bringing together resources in many formats from many collections, the Portal enables easy, effective and global discovery of Catholic research resources. The library is looking for a few more theology graduate student volunteers who would be willing to participate in the software testing in late September. Please contact Darren Poley in the library if interested (mobile phone # 610-772-3718; email preferred firstname.lastname@example.org).
St. Coleman Parish in Ardmore (11 Simpson Road, Ardmore, PA 19003) is looking for catechists for the new school year on Sunday mornings, 10:30-11:50am. There will be a meeting tonight at 7pm in the parish rectory for those interested. Classes begin Sunday, September 11th. Please contact Mr. Robert Touey, Director of Religious Education at St. Coleman’s if interested: 610.513.8495.
The first Monthly Mass with the Theology Graduate Students will be held on October 4th at 5:20pm in Corr Chapel. Contact Lauren Joyce to serve as a liturgical minister for these Masses: email@example.com.
Monday, September 5th- Labor Day, No Classes
Tuesday, September 6th
- Sant’Egidio Prayer Service. 6pm in Corr Chapel. All are welcome! For more information, please see The Community of Sant’Egidio website and contact Kathryn Getek Soltis, Director of the Center for Peace and Justice Education: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, September 7th
- **revised date** 4-4:20pm: Information Session on the GTSC- Come to learn more about the GTSC and how to become more involved! Session will be in the department conference room.
Thursday, September 8th
- 3-3:45: Preparing for the Comprehensive Exam– Dr. Spitaler will explain the process of the exam. Session will be in the department conference room and is open to all students. In preparation, please read this policy.
- **correction: Info Session moved to Wednesday 9/7!!**
Friday, September 9th
Saturday, September 10th
- Language Exam: 1-4:00 PM
- A ‘Spirited Celebration’: 6 PM-? Starts at Flip & Bailey’s (900 Conestoga Rd, Rosemont, PA); text Andrew if you want to catch up with us later: 510-229-7863
Ongoing Opportunities and Resources from the Center for Spirituality and Discernment!
For all the following opportunities, please Contact Linda at 610.519.6699 or email@example.com.
1. Spiritual Direction: An open invitation to Villanova students interested in Spiritual Direction, a meeting with a trained professional for one hour once a month:
- to take time to look at your life
- to notice how God “speaks” to you through the events and people of your life
- to be aware of how you want to respond
No expertise required…just a searching heart and a desire to get to know God better.
2. Small Group on Decision Making: We are starting a six session small group on “Decision Making” that will meet once a week for an hour over six weeks. We begin on Thursday September 15th from 4:30-5:30 pm in St. Rita’s hall lower level. This group is based on Nancy Bieber’s book called “Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment”.
3. Quiet Retreat: There will be a Quiet Retreat at Maris Stella Retreat House in Harvey Cedars NJ on September 16-18 weekend. This weekend will provide a quiet space on the beach for reflection on your life and relationships.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Events!
- Friday, September 16th: Hebrew Bible Study, 103 Corr Hall. 12:30-2pm. Presenter: Dr. Ruth Anolik, “Is Diversity a Curse?: The Story of Babel.” For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, September 17th: Theological Day of Reflection. Join us for a day of learning more about each other, our journeys to Villanova, and the ways in which worship is expressed/offered. Attend a lecture on the new translation of the Mass at St. Thomas of Villanova Parish in Rosemont, and share in community and fellowship around meals. Day will begin at Villanova at 9am sharp, meet outside SAC. Please bring $10 for lunch. Day will conclude with optional 5pm Mass. Please reserve your space with Michelle Sherman (email@example.com) by Monday, September 12th.
- Sunday, September 18th: Sunday Supper potluck at Andrew’s place: 36 S. Cricket Terrace, Ardmore, PA. RSVP by Friday, September 16th.
- Thursday, September 22nd: tentative date for Portio Creaturae Tuae Conference
- Saturday, September 24th: St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service, followed by drinks.
- Wednesday, September 28th: Live Simulcast of Gounod’s “Faust”, Bryn Mawr Film Institute, 824 W Lancaster Ave., Bryn Mawr, PA ($10)
- Friday-Saturday, October 21-22: Thomistic Circles Conference: Christian Marriage: Nature and Sacrament at Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC. Provide your own transportation.