Thank you to all who participated in the Opening Prayer Service last week. Taking time to gather in the presence of God and one another in prayer and fellowship was life-giving to all. As we begin this week of classes, let us hold in prayer those affected by Hurricane Irene.
Monday, August 29th
Tuesday, August 30th
- Sant’Egidio Prayer Service. 6pm in Corr Chapel. All are welcome! For more information, please see The Community of Sant’Egidio website and contact Kathryn Getek Soltis, Director of the Center for Peace and Justice Education: email@example.com.
- St. Coleman Parish in Ardmore (11 Simpson Road, Ardmore, PA 19003) is looking for catechists for the new school year on Sunday mornings, 10:30-11:50am. There will be a meeting tonight at 7pm in the parish rectory for those interested. Classes begin Sunday, September 11th. Please contact Mr. Robert Touey, Director of Religious Education at St. Coleman’s if interested: 610.513.8495.
Wednesday, August 31st
- LAST DAY to apply for Fall-semester Language exam in SAC 303. You must pass a language proficiency exam in either a modern or classical language in order to graduate.
- Last day to submit paper abstracts for Portio Creaturae Tuae: A Villanova Graduate Theology Conference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Papers on any theological topic are considered for presentation, come participate in a professional-style conference in a low-pressure, familar atmosophere and present your research to your peers, professors, and the theology department staff.
- Jewish Religion and Culture Lecture: “Temptation, Transgression, and Translation: Wrestling with Words in Genesis 3.” Presenter: Rabbi Andrea L. Weiss, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Bible, Hebrew Union College- Jewish Institute of Religion, New York. 7pm, Driscoll Auditorium. Sponsored by the Villanova Center for Liberal Education, Office for Mission and Ministry, and Gender and Women’s Studies.
Thursday, September 1st
Friday, September 2nd
Ongoing Opportunities and Resources from the Center for Spirituality and Discernment!
For all the following opportunities, please Contact Linda at 610.519.6699 or email@example.com.
1. Spiritual Direction: An open invitation to Villanova students interested in Spiritual Direction, a meeting with a trained professional for one hour once a month:
- to take time to look at your life
- to notice how God “speaks” to you through the events and people of your life
- to be aware of how you want to respond
No expertise required…just a searching heart and a desire to get to know God better.
2. Small Group on Decision Making: We are starting a six session small group on “Decision Making” that will meet once a week for an hour over six weeks. We begin on Thursday September 15th from 4:30-5:30 pm in St. Rita’s hall lower level. This group is based on Nancy Bieber’s book called “Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment”.
3. Quiet Retreat: There will be a Quiet Retreat at Maris Stella Retreat House in Harvey Cedars NJ on September 16-18 weekend. This weekend will provide a quiet space on the beach for reflection on your life and relationships.
Mark Your Calendars for Upcoming Events!
- Saturday, September 10th: Language Exam
- Friday, September 16th: Hebrew Bible Study, 103 Corr Hall. 12:30-2pm. Presenter: Dr. Ruth Anolik, “Is Diversity a Curse?: The Story of Babel.” For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, September 17th: Theological Day of Reflection. Join us for a day of learning more about each other and our journeys to Villanova, attend a lecture on the new translation of the Mass, and share in community and fellowship around meals. More information to follow.
- Thursday, September 22nd: tentative date for Portio Creaturae Tuae Conference
- Saturday, September 24th: St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service. This year, the Theology Department group will include students, faculty, and staff in a departmental collaboration. To register, please go to the Day of Service Registration Page and be sure to select “Theology Graduate Students/Faculty/Staff” as the group in the drop-down menu for DOS Group.
- Friday-Saturday, October 21-22: Thomistic Circles Conference: Christian Marriage: Nature and Sacrament at Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC. Provide your own transportation.