- GTSC 20 Minute Social: 9:20 PM (Theology Department) Chat about how the GTSC can best serve grad students this semester over free hors d’oeuvres and drinks.
Wednesday 2/2 through Friday 2/4:
- GTSC Service & Justice Canned Food Drive: The Justice & Service Committee of the GTSC has organized a canned food drive for the food pantry at St. Thomas of Villanova Rosemont Parish. The majority of the collection will be sent to their sister parish in Philadelphia. Boxes will be placed in the Theology Department’s Office on Wednesday, February 2nd, Thursday, February 3rd, and Friday, February 4th. Thank you for your donation to those less fortunate than ourselves! “You may not be able to feed one hundred, but you can feed one.” ~Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta
- HEBREW BIBLE STUDY: What can the biblical stories of Samuel and Saul teach us about ourselves and the ethical and political dilemmas we face today? One reason biblical stories have timeless appeal is that they reveal human nature and dilemmas in archetypal form. Join us this Friday, February 4 from 12:30-2 p.m. in St. Rita’s Chapel, St. Rita Hall for a discussion of the figures of Samuel and Saul.
The subject of this week’s session, “Samuel the Political Revolutionary and Saul the Tragic King,” resonates with the unrest and challenges to royal power taking place in today’s Middle East.Dr. Don Goelman will lead the discussion, the third in this year’s series of the “VU Hebrew Bible Study Group: Open Conversations from a Jewish Perspective.”Anyone interested in the Hebrew Bible is welcome at this brown-bag lunch gathering; light refreshments will be provided. The theme of our sessions this year is “Tests of Faith and Ethical Dilemmas.” The remaining sessions, also scheduled from 12:30-2 p.m. in the Corr Hall seminar room, will take place on March 11 and April 1. Our thanks to the Office for Mission and Ministry for its support of this new initiative. If you have questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! Brideshead Revisited Viewing Group: 4:30-6:30 PM (Peace & Justice Classroom, Corr Hall) Join us for the first installment of the exquisite British television adaptation of Evelyn Waugh’s masterpiece about the operation of grace in 1920s-40s England. For more information, see last week’s announcement, or email Andrew (email@example.com) or Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Villanova Theatre: 8 PM (Villanova Theatre, Vasey Hall) Join other theology grad students at the Thursday, February 17th performance of Chekhov’s “The Cherry Orchard.” Advanced tickets ($8 with Villanova student ID) are highly recommended, and may be purchased online.